In this article you will find the list of the best free walking tours in the main Italian cities.
If you are planning to visit a city in Italy, you might want to consider joining a free walking tour with a local guide.
These types of tours are slowly becoming more common in Italy and are the best way to meet other people and explore new places with the help of an experienced guide without spending too much.
What is a Free Walking Tour?
Free Walking Tour is a tour where a local guide takes participants to explore the city without a fixed cost. Typically, they last from 2 to 4 hours and have free cancellation.
Does this mean that the tour is 100% free? It depends. Even though there is no fixed cost it is still a good habit to tip your guide. If you have no idea how much to give, don’t worry. At the end of the tour, the guide will give some indication of how much people usually tip (most of the time is at least 10 euros per person) but, as mentioned, there are no obligations.
Keep in mind that since it’s a walking tour, most likely you won’t visit places of interest such as museums or monuments, but you can still go back later.
Best Free Walking Tours in Italian cities
Below you will find the list of free walking tours in some of the most visited cities in Italy. For all other tours (in more than 120 different destinations) check out this page.
1- Free Walking Tours in Rome
There are currently 3 free walking tours in Rome:
- The most popular tour is this one: Free tour di Roma Imperiale (ITALIAN only). Definitely the best way to explore the ancient splendor of the eternal capital.
- This is the classic tour of the city. It lasts about 2 hours and will take you to the most famous places including the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc.
- This tour (at the moment only in ITALIAN) will take you to some of the same places as the previous one but during the evening, when the city has a whole different atmosphere. The tour lasts 2 hours.
- If you are particularly interested in the Baroque architecture of Rome’s churches, this is the right tour for you(unfortunately also this one is in ITALIAN). The tour takes about two hours.
2- Free Walking Tour in Venice
There are 3 free tours in Venice as well.
- This tour is the classic one that will take you to the historic center of Venice with its many canals, streets, and monuments. It lasts for one hour and 30 minutes.
- The second tour is a bit more original and will take you to some alternative and less frequented places. It lasts two and a half hours and I really recommend it.
- The third tour focuses on the mysteries of Venice (only in ITALIAN). You will get to visit the Jewish Ghetto and discover the most interesting legends of the city. It lasts two and a half hours..
3- Free Walking Tour of Florence
- This free tour of Florence will take you to the most iconic places in the city such as the Medici Chapels, Basilica of San Lorenzo, Piazza Della Signoria, Uffizi Gallery, etc. The tour lasts two and a half hours.
4- Free Walking Tour of Naples
As many as 4 free tours are available in Naples:
- This free tour will take you to the most popular areas of Naples, starting from Piazza Plebiscito. It lasts a total of two hours.
- If you want to try the typical cakes of Naples then this is the tour for you.
- For those who love history, I recommend this tour of Naples Old Town. In about two hours it will take you through everything you need to learn about the city’s past.
- Finally, this tour focuses on the neighborhood that best represents Naples: the Rione Sanità (only in ITALIAN).
5- Free Walking Tour of Palermo – Sicily Island
Palermo has for the moment only one free tour:
- This tour will take you to the most famous places of Palermo including the Teatro Massimo, Piazza Verdi, and the Galleria delle Vittorie.
6- Free Walking Tour of Turin
In the Piedmontese capital you can book two different free tours:
- This classic city tour will take you to the most iconic place of Turin. It lasts for about 2 hours.
- This interesting tour will introduce you to the local street art and will also take you to the Museum of Urban Art.
7- Free Walking Tour of Bari – Apulia
- This free tour will allow you to get to know the capital of the Apulia region with the help of a local guide. It lasts for about two hours.
8- Free Walking Tour of Catania
- Catania is one of the most beautiful cities in southern Italy. This free walking tour will introduce you to its most picturesque corners.
Have you tried any of the tours mentioned above? Did you enjoy them? Let me know in the comments. Soon I will also post an article with a list of free walking tours in major European cities.